Monday, February 20, 2006

Preparing a canvas

Here you can see a canvas being prepared to receive the skunk. I use pre-stretched canvases, usually 12 x 16". I prefer the deep edged, 'box' canvas, as they can be hung straight on the wall without a frame and still look good.

I tape up the edges with masking tape, leaving a few mm of canvas uncovered. This allows the paint to go onto the edge a little, 'joining' the image to the actual shape of the canvas, rather than having it float on the picture plain completely unrelated to the physical dimensions of the canvas-as-object.

I'll give the canvas between 2 and 4 coats of gesso, depending on how smooth I want it. I usually like to leave some of the canvas grain visible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Koko said...

I stretched my own canvases at school. I still have the staple gun! I now use it to threaten the cat.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home